Building Permits & Inspections
The City of Crestview Building Division is a one-stop shop for all construction permit and inspection needs. The division reviews construction plans, issues permits, and performs inspections to ensure building projects are built safely and in compliance with state and local codes and regulations helping to create a vibrant, livable, and safe-built community. Whether you are remodeling a home, building your dream house, constructing an accessory structure, or constructing a commercial building, we look forward to serving you.
The Florida Building Code (Section 553.73, F.S.) replaced Florida's mixture of codes that were developed, amended, administered and enforced by more than 400 local jurisdictions and state agencies with building code regulation responsibilities. The current Code is a single statewide code based on national model codes and consensus standards, amended for Florida specific needs for the design and construction of buildings. The Building Codes in effect in the City of Crestview are listed below:
- Florida Building Code - Building 5th Edition (2014)
- Florida Building Code - Existing Building 5th Edition (2014)
- Florida Building Code - Residential 5th Edition (2014)
- Florida Building Code - Plumbing 5th Edition (2014)
- Florida Building Code - Fuel Gas 5th Edition (2014)
- Florida Building Code - Mechanical 5th Edition (2014)
- Florida Building Code - Energy Conservation 5th Edition (2014)
- Florida Building Code - Accessibility 5th Edition (2014)
- National Electrical Code 5th Edition (2014)
- Florida Fire Prevention Code 5th Edition (2014)
- Amended Chapter 1 FBC and Unsafe Structure Code (PDF)
Note to Contractors & Owner-Builders
Note: As of June 30, 2015, all projects within the City of Crestview will need to comply with the 5th edition of the FBC (2014 Version):
Effective July 1, 2017, All new construction on residential buildings or dwelling units shall have mandatory blower door testing.
Pursuant to Crestview Land Development Code, Sections 102-351, and 102-167(d), building permits are required for construction of fences, walls, and retaining walls. Effective November 1, 2012, building permits shall be obtained for these structures prior to commencement of construction. As of February 1, 2013 failure to purchase permits prior to beginning construction of fences or walls will result in a penalty, in addition to the applicable permit fees in accordance with Section 102-351(p).
Pursuant to the Crestview Code of Ordinances Sec. 102-491, the Building Division will enforce sedimentation and erosion control for projects where fill has been placed. Failure to properly install and maintain the silt fence throughout the project will cause the scheduled inspection to be turned down until the erosion control complies with 102-491 in accordance with the Florida Building Code 110.1. Silt Fences shall be installed in accordance with the Florida Stormwater Erosion and Sedimentation Control Inspector’s Manual.